WHO WE ARE
Our club is a small, family oriented, low budget co-operative. We offer a variety of sailing dinghies, stand up paddle boards, sailboards and kayaks.
Throughout the year we have a variety of social gatherings both organized and spontaneous. There is a gas BBQ stored in the compound that is available to all members.
We have some rigging and paddling clinics during the season which helps to introduce new members to our club and familiarize them with the location of boats and equipment.
The club’s constitution requires that the executive be elected by the membership at the Annual General Meeting (held each March/April), when the budget and annual fees are set. The club is limited to 35 family memberships in order to preserve its informality – a family being defined as any two adults, with their dependent children, resident in the same household.
As membership grew, various types of boats were added to suit the needs of the members. The club continues to develop opportunities for members to enjoy many facets of sailing. Members are encouraged to participate in events at Jericho, including the annual regatta, the weekly race series, and Opening Day activities.
Club members have sailed the Bombardier to Gambier Island. A kayak cruise, with an escort, took members to Halkett Bay on Gambier Island for overnight camping. Members have sailed to Caulfield Cove for a picnic and paddle boarded over to Science World. Members are also allowed to take kayaks or sailboards for extended trips at other locations.
Way back before the JSC and Companionway, the Jericho Park area was home to the Coast Salish First Nations who lived in the lands east of Jericho Beach. In 1867 the military set up a small naval reserve in the area to counter the American threat of a possible invasion.
In 1908, the province leased the land to the Jericho Golf and Country Club. The Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII) played at the golf course.
In 1920 the Canadian Air Board, controlling both civil and military aviation established a base at Jericho Beach. It became the principal air force base on the Pacific Coast.
Federal and provincial government departments used the aircraft based here for civil roles such as anti-smuggling, fishery, and forestry patrols, and transportation to remote communities.
In 1925 the entire area of Jericho was turned over for use by the RCAF. During WWII the airbase was renamed RCAF Station Jericho Beach and housed flying boats. In 1942 the army’s Pacific Command Headquarters moved to Jericho Beach; three years later the army took over the entire base and remained there until the late 1960’s.
During 1970 the area became renowned for squatters (the then mayor Campbell described them as “hippies, drug pushers and draft dodgers”). The Battle of Jericho (as described by the Vancouver Sun) evicted the remaining squatters from what is now the youth hostel.
In 1974 the Jericho Sailing Centre began operation.
In 1978 the City of Vancouver began the removal of all but one of the former RCAF hangars. The remaining hangar is the current site of the Jericho Sailing Centre and Companionway Sailing Club.
Companionway began in 1978 when a group of sailors at Jericho got together to buy two second hand Lasers.
As more sailors wanted to take advantage of this opportunity for co-operative ownership and collaborative sailing, the club was incorporated as a non-profit society, registered under the BC Societies Act, with the aim of promoting family sailing at Jericho.